Saturday, October 16, 2010

Silk purse from a sow's ear.



We have a friend who casts silver, and buys silver in bulk. The silver comes in some round containers with handles. They are not in any way pretty , and only marginally useful when he is done with them.

This is what I did to make one of them fun for Halloween.

You can see in the second picture that I wrapped the handle with seam binding and decorated the edges.



The third picture shows the box with the lid on. The side is covered with orange craft paper, and then decorated with halloween figures from my Cricut machine: French Manor, Paper Doll Dress Up, George, Storybook, Pumpkin Carving and A Child's Year cartridges. The tag doesn't show up in the picture so we added a picture of it at the top. It was done with Pumpkin Carving. There are also some orange ribbons tied on each side of the handles.


On the top I added embellishments from a dollar store and a spare knob from a cabinet project. The fringe is intertwined Halloween orange and gold, also from a dollar store.

When it was done I filled it with apples and candy and took it back to him. He and his employees loved it! He gave me more to decorate, but I will probably move on to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks for looking. Happy Halloween.

2 comments:

Diana said...

This is way cool! What a good idea!!!

**Treefrog** said...

This is Wonderful and Lovely, what a way to re-cycle, I absolutely love it, I love to re-purpose things. I could see so many other seasons you could use these for. To hold a present would be great, two gifts in one. TFS
((Hugs)) Theresa